Dr. Randall P. White describes India as an emerging meritocracy in a side bar to the cover story, “How Indian Firms Beat the World,” this month in Talent Management.
Executive Development Group is currently providing executive education in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
“…India is a fascinating crucible for what could become a true meritocracy.
Perhaps what the West can most effectively learn, in an immediately practical way, is:
• People who live in emerging economies see learning—and learning fast—as a primary competitive advantage.
• Knowledge-based reward and advancement may improve the work environment by diminishing the cult of personality.
• A corporation that believes in its learning initiatives can become a true meritocracy.
• The West needs to reevaluate and invest in education at every level long before graduates arrive at the corporation.
• For the near term, US corporations need to take on a retraining role, taking on people who come of age in an era of educational mediocrity. In the longer term, corporations will need to help any number of stakeholders revamp the US educational system.”
Read the entire article here.